Caligram



For this assignment I recreated the French artist, Rene Magritte's "The Treachery of Images" painting. I decided to recreate this painting with text because the meaning behind Magritte's painting is that this pipe is merely a representation, not the real thing, much like the goal of this project being to recreate an image out of text. I learned about Magritte and this artwork in particular last semester in my visual literacy class and I thought the concept was really interesting and it resonated with me enough to be my inspiration for this project. The French text under the original famous pipe picture literally means, "This is not a pipe." which I also included in my rendition of the art as well as building the pipe out of that phrase in English. Magritte himself best describes this piece by saying,  "How people reproached me for it! And yet, could you stuff my pipe? No, it's just a representation, is it not? So if I had written on my picture "This is a pipe", I'd have been lying!"

Comments

  1. This is my favorite project of yours Raelyn! I think you knocked it out of the park and did an amazing job. I was always fascinated by this piece of art so seeing you turn it into a calligram was really cool. The shape of the pipe looks impressively accurate and must have taken a lot of practice with the pen tool. The placement of text in lighter colors to portray the reflection on the left of the pipe is very realistic. Overall I think you did great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Logo

portrait poster